“The memory of my childhood went back to when I played chess under the tree, while my grandpa, a part-time barber, was sitting next to me and busy cutting his clients hair. I have developed my strategy and analytical thinking since then.” ~Prof. Ir. Purnomo Yusgiantoro, MSc., MA., Ph.D. (2016)
Research shows that there is a strong correlation between learning to play chess and academic achievement. The study from Smith and Cage (2000) found students who received chess instruction scored significantly higher on all measures of academic achievement, including math, spatial analysis, and non-verbal reasoning ability. It is no doubt that playing chess provides great benefits for children.
In order to commemorate the 72nd Indonesia Independence Day for this year, the Second Junior Chess Championship will be held on 12 August 2017 (Saturday). The championship is limited for participants in the age of 9 years old and below.
More details on specific requirements are shown in the following:
- Participants for those age 9 years old and below (Those with a birthdate after 1 January 2009). On the day of competition, it is mandatory to bring along and show your child’s Original Family Identification (Kartu Keluarga/KK) and Birth Certificate (Akte Kelahiran).
- Registration fee: IDR 50,000. Transfer to account number BCA 6790543007, account name: Yayasan Purnomo Yusgiantoro. Please send your receipt of transfer to Mr. Samuel – 0819-32989505. The fee includes T-Shirt and lunch for participants.
- Registration closes on 10 August 2017.
- Duration: 20 minutes (G20) x 6 sessions
- Chess Equipment: Participants playing white pieces are required to use their chess equipment and chess clock
VENUE and TIME:
- Saturday, 12 August 2017 at 9 am (WIB) sharp for registration
- Purnomo Yusgiantoro Center, Jl. Wijaya IX no 12, Kebayoran Baru, Jakarta, 12160.
- 1st Winner: IDR 2,000,000 and trophy
- 2nd Winner: IDR 1,000,000 and trophy
- 3rd Winner: IDR 750,000 and trophy
- 4th Winner: IDR 500,000
- 5th Winner: IDR 250,000
- 6th until 10th Places: Each received IDR 100,000